Monday, April 14, 2008

LAUREN + GARTH !!111!!1<3<3<3

So, there are benefits to having a wife with a degree in linguistics. It turns out that, as I've known for a while, the name 'garth' is derived from an Old English word for garden and the name 'lauren' means victory. That's right, when we got married, our names combined to form victory garden.



(image source) This gives access to some pretty cool iconography.

City Farmer News has a nice post about Victory Garden. The comparison has been made that the sacrifices asked of the public in World War 2 included recycle and food production. Our current government response to crisis is, predictable, "go shopping."

The folks at Dervaes have adopted Victory Garden iconography as well. I have to say, I'm a fan of the graphic style and I've got a soft spot for politicization but it might be better to go with "kitchen garden" for mass appeal. I learned that the the medieval French referred to kitchen gardens and the everlasting soup made from the same as "Potage." I like that. Also, a feature of the potage was a garth at the center. Win.

No comments:

Contributors